Who doesn’t want to have a perfectly carved back just like Ryan Terry? Honestly, every man does. But the question is, how to get it? Well, the simplest answer is; Bodyweight back exercise. Body weight back exercises enable you to shape and strengthen your back with no fancy equipment. These are the exercises that you can do even at home without any professional assistance to get the maximum results.
Below we have listed down some best bodyweight back exercises and how to do these exercises. So to reform your body stay with us and keep reading.
The first exercise is the famous superman pose. It is widely used for shaping and strengthening the back muscles. This pose is called so because it is similar to a flying superman in the air. It is one of the best bodyweight back exercises to shape your body.
This pose helps you strengthen your back muscles, especially your lower back muscles. It keeps your back flexible. Besides, it also helps to stretch your chest, arms, and legs,
Steps to Perform Superman Pose Bodyweight Exercise
Here’s a step by step guide on how to do this exercise properly to get the maximum results.
- Lie flat on your stomach with your chin resting on the ground and your toes flat.
- Bring your legs closer together, slightly touching each other.
- Stretch your arms as much as you can with your palms flat facing the ground.
- Take a deep breath and lift your legs, arms, chest, and thighs off the floor, and here you resemble a flying superman.
- Stretch your arms and legs away from the torso and feel your body extend.
- Hold for a few seconds, then exhale and lower your body.
This pose is not advisable for the pregnant ladies and recent surgery patients, so if you’re one of them, do not try this pose; otherwise, you can harm yourself.
Elbow raise is a simple yet effective bodyweight back exercise, especially to strengthen the upper back muscles. It is widely known as one of the best bodyweight back exercises because it’s easy to do daily.
This exercise is perfect for strengthening not only your upper back muscles, but it is also useful for your arms and shoulders.
Steps to Perform Elbow Raise Back Exercise
- Lie flat on your back with upwardly bent elbows.
- Put your arms wide apart and slightly lower than your shoulders.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Inhale and lift your head and shoulders and rest yourself on the elbows.
- Stay in this position for a few seconds and focus your weight on your elbows.
- Exhale and relax your body.
If you have any back injury or any other spine issues, do not try this exercise as it might worsen your condition. Plus, it is also not recommended with people having shoulder issues.
One of the widely known and best bodyweight back exercises is pushups. We all have heard and tried this exercise at least once in our lifetime. Push Ups are a fast and effective exercise for strengthening and stretching the body muscles without any gym instruments.
Push Ups are mostly good for upper back muscles and shoulders, but if they are carried out properly, they can also strengthen the lower back muscles.
Steps to Perform Push Ups for Back
Here’s a step by step guide on how to do push-ups.
- Lie flat on your stomach with your feet touching each other.
- Place your palms on the floor with bent elbows.
- Take a deep breath and lift your body upward in a high plank position.
- Put your upper body weight on your arms and palms and your lower body weight on the toes.
- Slowly lower your body down, but don’t touch the floor.
- Keep your head straight and your torso rigid.
- Keep lowering your body with your elbows pointed outward.
- When your chin/chest touch the body go back to the high plank position.
- Repeat the movement until you’re satisfied with it.
The push-ups are not recommended for pregnant ladies as it can hurt the baby bump.
Read Also : Best Under Desk Treadmills 2020
Pull up is one of the most robust back exercises when it comes to bodyweight back exercises. But if you master it, it can have drastic effects in just a few days. For pull-ups, you need a fixed rod or bar which can hold your weight.
Pull-ups provide strength and flexibility to the upper back and shoulder muscles. They also build up your arm muscles.
Steps to Perform Pull Ups
Here’s a step by step guide on how to do pull-ups.
- Stand straight and put your hands on the bar with palms facing away from you.
- Grip the bars and extend your arms.
- Take a deep breath, pull up your full body with your hands, and keep your feet in a cross manner over each other.
- Move slowly until your chin touches the bar.
- Then come back down until your arms are extended again.
- Repeat this movement until you’re tired.
Always make sure of safety measures as your hand might loosen the grip, and you can fall. Avoid this exercise if you’re pregnant or if you have any bones problem.
The front lever is a fundamental strength exercise for core and upper back muscles. It not only provides strength to your back, but it is also great for six abs. But this exercise needs flexibility in your muscles, so if you’re a beginner, it is good to start with some more natural training, then come to this one. Just as the pull-ups, you need a fixed bar or handle for this exercise.
It is perfect for shaping the upper back muscles, and it also helps to achieve those ideal six abs you dream for.
Steps to Perform Front Lever Body Weight Exercise
- Below is a step by step guide on how to do this exercise
- Stand straight under the bar and grip it with both hands.
- Hang down from the rod and contract your back muscles while keeping your arms straight.
- Slowly move your body upward horizontally with straight arms and legs to bring your torso and legs horizontal with the floor.
- Keep your body stretched and your limbs straight.
- Maintain the pose as long as you can then slowly move your body downward.
- Repeat the exercise to get maximum results.
This exercise requires a lot of strength and flexibility in your body, so if you’re a beginner, you should start with other exercises before going to this one. Moreover, if you’re pregnant, don’t do this exercise.
The inverted row is another one from the list of body weight back exercises. This exercise is mostly used to shape and build up the upper back and core muscles. These are just like pull-ups with the main difference being that in pull-ups, you have to pull your full body horizontally while in inverted rows, you have to push your upper body upward with your feet touching the floor.
It is best for upper back muscles. Plus, it can also help to strengthen the shoulder and core muscles.
Steps to Perform Inverted Row Back Exercise
Here’s a step by step guide to carrying out the exercise.
- Set the bar height according to your needs. The higher the bar, the easier it is to move the body, so choose accordingly.
- Lay under the bar with your face up. Grip the bar with both hands (palms facing away from you)
- Inhale. Contract your body and pull yourself up.
- Keep pulling until your chest touches the bar.
- Slowly lower down your body and repeat the movement.
Don’t do this exercise if you’re pregnant or if you have any back or spine issues.
Plank pose is an arm balancing exercise to build up your lower back muscles. In this exercise, you keep your breath for a few seconds and then lower your body. It doesn’t only strengthen your lower back muscles, but it also helps the core and shoulder muscles in flexibility and strength.
High plank is one of the few exercises for your lower back. It is also best for abdominal and chest muscles.
Steps to do High Plank Body Weight Back Exercise
- Lie flat on your stomach with straight feet.
- Put your palms on the floor with bent elbows.
- Pull your body upward with your weight on the palms.
- Extend your arms and keep your feet straight on the floor.
- Put your weight on palms and toes.
- Stay in the position for few seconds then slowly lower your body.
- Repeat the exercise.
If you have osteoporosis or any other bone issues, avoid this exercise. Plus, pregnant ladies should also not do this exercise.
It is also known as hip raise exercise. It is a beginner exercise, and it is easy to do daily, yet it has significant results. It is one of the best body weight back exercises for lower back muscles. Mostly it is used as an add-on to other tough workouts.
It strengthens your lower back and hip muscles. If done correctly, it can also help to build up the abdominal muscles. You can also read our article about inversion tables to counter lower back pain issues.
Steps to Perform Bridge Body Weight Exercise
Here a step by step guide to do this exercise
- Lie on your back with your hands at both sides and knees bent.
- Contract your abdominal and hip muscles and move up your body.
- Push up your hips to create a straight line.
- Pull your belly button back towards the floor.
- Hold this position for few seconds then slowly move your body back.
- Repeat the process until you’re good.
Surgery patients and pregnant ladies are advised not to do this exercise as it might hurt them. Moreover, people with joint or back issues should also avoid it.